Have finally managed to get it working!

Fedora (which I had not used before) was OK but Debian(my normal OS) was a
problem! An issue for me was that the relevant drivers were in HPLIP version
3.15.11 onwards. Standard Fedora in Qubes uses 3.16.3 whereas Debian in QUBES
uses 3.14.6. This in itself was not a major issue in that I've installed a
newer version of HPLIP in my normal Debian setup - but replicating that here
caused problems. I won't summarise endless failures but try and summarise how I
eventually succeeded.

Started with ETHERNET connection from ROUTER to PRINTER.
 With Fedora I installed yumex-dnf and system-config-printer. A look at yumex
showed that HPLIP was already there - v 3.16.3. Then in terminal i used
system-config-printer which opened up the add printer menu. Went for the
network option and entered Network Connected IP from Printer in host field.
This gave sub -menu where I think JetDirect and App Socket/HP Jetdirect fields
were needed. A list of all HP printers appeared from where I could select
Colorjet MFP M477fdw. Enter a couple of times and it all worked.

With Debian, i installed SYNAPTIC - a check there shows no HPLIP installed and
offers 3.14.6. I then googled HP LINUX IMAGING AND PRINTING . Followed steps 1
to 7 - but not step 8. Latter worked fine on normal Debian setup - but didn't
seem to work here - this was the major frustration.
Instead I keyed "sudo hp-setup -i PRINTERIP" in terminal. Interactive process
installed additional plugin - but this was straightforward - basically just
accepting defaults. The process recognised my printer and everything worked.
However when trying to get access to printer in a new VM I had problems and got
in a mess with references to "shared", "enabled" in printer dialogue box on PC
screen. Printer IP keeps changing - which maybe the problem or not . At this
stage I was still happy because at least I'd seen something print. THEN went
for another option - went back to USB connection between printer and PC. On
printer screen I went to SETUP/NETWORK SETUP/ IP4 CONFIG METHOD and chose
MANUAL option - and went with the default offered - 192.169.xxx.xxx.Having done
the 1st 7 steps of the HP LINUX IMAGING AND PRINTING NOTE already with DEBIAN
QUBES, I simply had to key "sudo hp-setup -i 192.168.xxx.xxx" in terminal.
It all flowed through again to successful conclusion.
EVERYTHING APPEARS TO WORK!!!!

Presumably my printer IP ADDRESS is now static. Whether or not I opened up any
security weakness in QUBES I'm not sure but at the moment I don't care -my
printer is working! Intend to do more reading from an old UBUNTU manual - on
networking and PRINTING WITH CUPS - the experience of the last few days might
enable me to understand the relevant chapters a bit better. As a pensioner I
have a bit time on my hands - so I can experiment endlessly on the spare hard
drive I'm using - before committing to moving to QUBES completely. Am likely to
do this - but want to get to feel at ease with QUBES in a test environment
first - so will probably convert in NEW YEAR. Hope this note is useful for
anyone else with PRINTER problems and THANKS AGAIN FOR COMMENTS.