Hi folks,

Thank you all for your responses.  There is some significant new
information at this point:

Last night I was able to install Linux Mint beside the other operating
systems.  It is not that I wanted to use Mint, it is just that by
installing it it redid the GRUB file so now I can boot to Windows 7 or
Qubes (or Mint).  So that solves the first problem.  (I had tried to do
this previously but was unable to.  Last night I deleted most of the files
[which I was able to copy to an external hard drive] from the hard drive
and apparently that made a difference.)

However, now for some reason Qubes doesn't work right at all.  The Dom0
domain doesn't load.  (I can see that this is true because it isn't there
and also I could read one of the error messages while the program was
going to download a fresh copy of Qubes and then reinstall it.

So it may be that after I reinstall Qubes some of these problems I have
been having will be resolved.  Nonetheless, I will answer the questions
where appropriate that each of you posed because I appreciate your help and
also because I may have the same issues when I reinstall.

(Note: I am going out of town later today so it may be several days before
I can reinstall Qubes.)

Best regards,

Vincent