On 2016-12-16 03:27, cubit wrote:
> 16. Dec 2016 05:58 by a...@qubes-os.org:
>
>> I recommend disabling your key's passphrase (i.e., using a blank
>> passphrase).
>

> This is disappointing to hear.    Removing the password sounds like
> a kludge than a fix to something that had been working okay.
>

> I understand the model does not technically need a password but it
> is something I want (rightly or rongly) and it was working okay
> since R3.0 which to me indicates that it can work and just
> something broke.
>

>> The reasoning can be found throughout the document (search for
>> "passphrase").
>>

> I do and see that it is optional which should mean it works. From
> the page you say:
>

>>> "Therefore,using a passphrase at all should be considered
>>> optional."
>

> If it is not supposed to work  or is not supported it should be
> said  "do not use passphrase with key" instead of saying "is
> optional" as this lead people to understand that while not needed
> it works.

You're taking that passage out of context. If you read it in context,
it's clear that "optional" means optional from a *security* standpoint.

You're also ignoring the part that I quoted for you previously. Here
it is again:

"You may experience trouble when attempting to use a PGP key with a
passphrase along with Split-GPG and Enigmail. If you do, you may need
to remove the passphrase from your (sub)key(s) in order to get
Split-GPG working correctly. As mentioned above, we do not believe PGP
key passphrases to be significant from a security perspective."

What this means for you:

You're experiencing trouble when attempting to use a PGP key with a
passphrase along with Split-GPG and Enigmail, so you may need to
remove the passphrase from your (sub)key(s) in order to get Split-GPG
working correctly.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS