On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Leeteqxv <teqleez...@leeteq.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> that. Which means no constant income for the long run.
>>
>> Most companies will stick with one version of the product till they
>> really have a reason to upgrade.
>> Because, the costs for upgrading are actually higher than the costs of
>> the license and upgrades involve the risk of causing
>> disruption (problems during the upgrade, which blocks employees from
>> getting their work done. Which again means I loose money).
>> With other words Qubes OS will be stuck with one version for years.
>>
>> 2. The simple question is how can you sell a product which contains
>> mostly GPL licensed code (Xen, Linux Kernel)
>> which everybody can download and compile for free?
>>
>> RHEL sells support subscriptions. They offer support (10 years
>> backporting, customer support etc.) and most important they offer a
>> platform for other business software.
>> The work RedHat constantly invests in their RHEL can not be easily
>> replicated and that is the reason why CentOS is not a competitor.
>>
>> 3. Security is a process and not a product. As an enterprise customer I
>> want to have constant updates and upgrades, security bulletins and other
>> security information.
>> I want to know if DirtyCOW, hardbleed or other security flaws affect my
>> business if I use Qubes OS or not?
>>
>> Furthermore, I believe that the Qubes OS team and ITL does not understand
>> what Qubes OS could offer on an enterprise level.
>> --
>>
> I am working with IT strategy myself. Enterprise needs are clearly
> completely different from SMB, etc., so in that sense we are talking about
> two entirely different strategies and support models. I think Qubes should
> pursue both, but with two distinctly different teams in charge, with the
> suitable understanding of each area.
>
> As the whole industry (and society at large) continues to mature into
> various ways of readiiness for Open-Source things, I am quite sure that we
> will see a growing market among SMB's that are willing to pay for support
> and related peace-of-mind aspects even if it is possible to compile
> everything oneself. It is worth paying to "delegate" both such manual work
> and to avoid keeping up on the related competence race.
>
> A license is one thing, perhaps even limited in time, but an accompanying
> support agreement is yet another. Both are needed, IMO.
>
> There is also a middle ground here - Take for example me:
> I would like to offer entry-level services to clients, who all will pay
> the license + pay for my services. In turn, I want to be a
> professional-level client of Qubes support, so that I can get their backup
> when there is something I run into which I cannot answer or solve properly
> for my entry-level clientele. So I would be willing to pay a professional
> support membership of some sorts.
>
> I strongly believe memberships-based support services (premium
> communities) is a good business model for this, atop of whatever licensing

Agree with that.
On the license side also a mixed scheme may be interesting. For example
there is an obvious need of some development directed to the very special
enterprise needs. This additional enterprise development may be kept
closed-source for a limited time, perhaps 5 years rather than the
international 50 years of copyright law. During this limited time this
additional software may be available under a non-disclosure agreement for
the licensee to check it or even compile it.
Best
fran