On 12/17/2016 01:27 PM, johnyju...@sigaint.org wrote:
I've finished my conversion of all VM's to debian-8 (and isolating USB,
the sound card, etc.).  (Next is dom0, and maybe the replacing the
hypervisor, but that's another story. :) )

The last hiccup was getting OpenVPN working in debian-8 in a ProxyVM.  It
would connect, but then get stupid and hangup.

Turns out the problem is that OpenVPN 2.3.4 included with Debian-8, will
fail to add a default static route to the VPN provider ("route add w.x.y.z
gw 10.137.2.1 eth0" kinda thing) if the netmask of the WAN interface is
255.255.255.255.  (There's some bug post out there related to this.)

I've not had this routing problem using either Debian 8 or 9/testing (the latter has openvpn 2.3.11). There may be a quirk in the way your VPN service specifies routing info (if it does at all) which triggered the bug.

Chris