On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 4:33:06 PM UTC+10:30, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> How did you perform this step? Did you manually edit qubes.xml?

The VM Manager allowed me to 'remove' the VM. Because the VM was renamed, as
far as I can tell it just removed it from qubes.xml.

On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 5:27:45 PM UTC+10:30, v3g4n wrote:
> I will let someone more knowledgeable on the manual removal process
> answer, but why not just remove it using Qubes VM Manager? Just curious
> about the manual process?

A bug in the VM Manager occured when I went to rename a VM, the VM files were
renamed but the VM Manager didn't update it's records and still showed the old
name. It leaves a bunch of references to something that no longer exists (in
the VM Manager and in the application menu). I haven't succeeded in reproducing
this bug, I was renaming a HVM template I had just installed an OS onto and
shutdown.

Of course manually removing VMs is not the ideal way to do it, but
unfortunately things sometimes go wrong like it did for me.