On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 3:39:23 AM UTC-8, dumbcyber wrote:
> I'm very sorry to revive this thread. I've been trying to build another Qubes
> environment on an SSD drive and have run into the same problem. I'm building
> R3.2 for a Macbook Pro. I know Macbook's are not very well supported but I've
> had my original Qubes environment running really well now for some time on
> the Macbook Pro and want to move away from the USB stick to something more
> long term.

My experience with Qubes on USB stick: I've had the USB become unresponsive,
and hot to the touch.  I've had much better luck on a portable SSD.

I sometimes boot a mac to that SSD drive.  I find that holding the `option` key
at boot time it is detected (labeled "Windows").  And I've had the same problem
with the USB keyboard being unusable at boot time.

I work around that problem by preventing the hostonly optimizations in the
initramfs.  In dom0, create a file /etc/dracut.conf.d/no-hostonly.conf, with
this line:

    hostonly="no"

Run `dracut -f` to build initramfs with the new configuration.  Then try
booting on the mac.

This is what I stumbled upon.  While it works for the USB keyboard, it might
have other consequences.  One that I know of is the booting on the mac includes
a *really* long pause that I haven't figured out how to get rid of.  I read
something once that made me believe it might be waiting for a PS/2 connection
that doesn't exist.  Not sure, but would love help with that if anyone reading
has any ideas.

The next hurdle you'll have with the macbook pro is getting broadcom wireless
to work.  I've posted my experience there to
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-users/VVwWqvz5dX4/4byUgfp3EgAJ;context-place=forum/qubes-users