On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 6:48:06 PM UTC-5, superlative wrote:
> On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 9:18:53 PM UTC-8, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> > If it's a network printer, then you probably want to allow access to
> > whichever IP address it has on your local network, e.g., 192.168.1.102.
> >
> > - --
> > Andrew David Wong (Axon)
> > Community Manager, Qubes OS
> > https://www.qubes-os.org
>
> It is a USB printer, not a network printer. So I assume I don't need to mess
> with the firewall, and it should show up in the attach/detatch context menu
> on Qubes VM Manager. But it doesn't! What do I do if it doesn't show up there?
>
> I'd assume I need to install HPLIP package. But I'm not sure which template
> to install it on in order for the Qubes VM Manager to pick it up? In other
> words, what template does the Qubes VM Manager use?
>
> Thanks for everyone who responded to me.

you will have to print from a sys-usb qubes then most likely if using usb.  the
template you install printer drivers to is that one. You can try to add single
usb device instead if using latest qubes. https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/

Scroll to  "Attaching a single USB device to a qube (USB passthrough)"

Then you can attach the single usb device to an appvm and possibly print to it?
 No idea though I've never tried it,  maybe someone with more experience can
chime in.  Actually I have dont it with an android phone and its worked.
Before I would have to transfer files from the usbvm.  So maybe it works for
printers too I would give it a shot.

  Though,  most people use network printer from a disposable vm using a whole
separate template.  cause printer drivers is untrusted.  first virus i ever got
as a young child was from a printer driver disk straight from factory.