On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 12:41:25PM -0800, stevenwinderl...@gmail.com wrote:
> I thought about the fact if its possible to use Qubes OS as a Server OS for
> example for shared hosting or for application servers,etc.
>
> You could basically use Template VMs and start AppVMs running the needed
> softwares for example on a shared hosting system.
>
> Would something in this direction even be possible and would any other use
> cases be possible too?
>
> I guess its possible to use it as VM Host too?

Most Qubes OS features are really for client systems. Like all the GUI
integration stuff, requiring various confirmations specifically from
local user, lack of network in dom0 etc.
If you take that out, mostly standard Xen installation will left there.
Just like any hosting provider have...

> Are you using Qubes OS internally in some way like for the web server or at
> the moment not? :D

We're under assumption that server infrastructure should not be trusted.
So, everything downloaded from the net - either ours servers, or others
- - should be verified. This is why(*) we use github instead of our own git
server, github pages + cloudflare for website, various mirrors for
binaries distribution and so on. And why we have reproducible builds on
the roadmap - to do the same with build machines - to not trust any
single machine building packages, but distribute that trust, verify
where possible.
The only thing we want from the infrastructure is reliability - and
using 3rd-party services makes it easier.

That said, technically you can setup some network services. For example
run a web server in netvm, and call some qrexec service in other
VM. Or redirect traffic to various VMs.
It still require local administration, so it's not suited to be running
in some data center. In theory you could hook up some IP KVM for that,
but then the whole setup would be only as secure as that IP KVM...

Some examples/documentation:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/development-workflow/#sending-packages-to-different-vm
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/firewall/#port-forwarding-to-a-qube-from-the-outside-world
https://github.com/Rudd-O/qubes-network-server
https://github.com/marmarek/signature-checker/#github-webhook-integration

(*) And the other reason is limiting costs. But still, not running own
infrastructure make it easier to keep it that way - think twice when you
send/receive something from 3rd-party service, put some script etc.
Running own infrastructure would make it tempting have some trust in it.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab