On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 11:00 PM, Leeteqxv <teqleez...@leeteq.com> wrote:
> (Ref. "I wish there was a magical menu entry that could do this:"
> - "Enforce restarting sys-net/sys-Firewall and temporarily take down any
> open VM that are blocking the restart, and then subsequently start them all
> again afterwards WITH all the software that was running inside each one
> too...")
>
> (If that is too much to ask for a script, then imagine the daunting task
> every time one has to do that manually.)

You mean like this?
https://gist.github.com/jpouellet/aaeecdf34b2d066371a5acfead978467/d23fcecb7150fa10921c54ba9dac9ed7f0e5c20a

But it is likely that you actually want this instead:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/wireless-troubleshooting/

> Qubes has a deeper motivation for this kind of automation than other OSes
> due to the consequences of security dilemmas stemming from the separation of
> tasks/VMs etc.
>
> Maybe Qubes does not have a choice, but to actually tackle this challenge at
> it roots.
>
> If I am right about that, then we can look at this from a strategic point of
> view, as an oppurtunity to take the lead:
>
> The above linked other issue is a good example on exactly what we want a
> computer to automate in general.

Or... we could focus on the massive backlog of qubes-specific problems to solve.

> The world does not need the (overhyped) "Artificial Intelligence"
> developments so much as really flexible automation like this example. We are
> far away from creating anything intelligence-like, but these automation bits
> are well within our reach even without any "A.I."
>
> Because we are all in the same boat regarding all the dilemmas, caveats and
> workarounds in the struggle to stay as secure as possibl as convenient as
> possible, Qubes has a unique challenge that is much larger and much more
> deep felt than any other OS users has: for a workable interface to this kind
> of automation.
>
> Maybe an opportunity or potential benefit lies within this challenge:
>
> Could we invite A.I. developers into a cross-platform Linux project that
> aims at providing tools to let users manage, configure, schedule, etc.
> automation like this through the GUI, so we make sure we are at the helm of
> such developments and thus have even greater influence to affect its
> direction to cover our (extra) needs?

There is already way more work to do than man-hours available.