On 2016-12-25 20:08, mojosam wrote:
> How to Backup Qubes Using New USB Hard Drive
>
> I'd like to backup my VMs to an external USB hard drive.  I have a
> couple of questions not answered by these pages:
>
> <https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/backup-restore/> and
> <https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/>
>
> The drive is a new Seagate 1.5TB hard drive.  It's a tiny thing
> that gets its power off of the USB bus.  Apparently Seagate has
> already installed their backup program, which runs in both Mac and
> Windows.
>
> If I'm going to use this drive, I assume that I want to delete
> that program and any other crapware that Seagate might have put on
> there. Also, I don't know which disk format they're using.  I doubt
> it's something that Qubes or Linux would find ideal.
>
> To start, where do I want to attach the drive?  Qubes has
> automatically attached it to Dom0, but I doubt that I want to
> format it from there.

I strongly recommend using a USB qube, if you can:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/#creating-and-using-a-usb-qube

If you have no choice, then connecting the drive directly to dom0 may
be OK, as long as you fully trust it and never connect it to anything
else. (If the drive is malicious, then it may have already compromised
dom0.)

> Does one of the other VMs already have something like gparted
> installed, or will I need to download that?

The standard tools will be available in a VM based on the default
Fedora template. However, if you prefer additional tools, you should
be able to easily find and install them from the Fedora repos.

> What file format should I use?

You mean filesystem? It depends on your needs. If you just want
something that's well-supported on Qubes and Linux in general, I
suggest Ext3.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS