On 2016-12-28 04:39, john.david.r.smith wrote:
> currently when i have qubes and need a new image (e.g. to
> reinstall/install on a new machine), i need to download the image
> from qubes-os.org and then check the signature.
>
> this may be a source of errors for some users, or even insecure
> (mitm + exchanging the master signing key information on the
> website + patching the downloaded image).

I know what you mean, but it's worth remembering that the Qubes Master
Signing Key fingerprint is supposed to be verified
out-of-band/multiband. So, in principle, replacing the key and/or
fingerprint only just qubes-os.org shouldn't work as a successful
attack vector.

> also checking signatures manually should unnecessary since a
> package manager is build to do such stuff.
>
> i would propose to add the qubes-images as packages to the repos.

Interesting idea. I wonder whether this would count as a misuse of the
repos/package manager.

One thing is that we'd like to offload most of the traffic to a mirror
(e.g., mirrors.kernel.org, as we currently do).

> maybe you could get other official repos to add them, too. (debian
> (+ubuntu), fedora and arch should reach a significant portion of
> the linux users)

Another interesting idea. I've never heard of a distro adding a
different OS's ISO as a package of their own, though.

> also: is the public qubes master signing key somewher in dom0? in
> case a user has not saved it, this could circumvent the problem of
> an mitm exchanging the information about the signing key

I recall someone suggesting this a long time ago, and I (think I) also
recall Marek doing it, but I can't find the original thread or issue,
and I don't see the key in `/etc/pki/rpm-gpg/`. Tracking:

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org