Progress!  I did an lsblk and figured out that my "root =" should be
root=/dev/sdb2/root (I installed on a USB flash drive).   I suppose it makes
sense that lvdisplay wasn't coming up with anything, as I hadn't been able to
unlock the drives.  I now get to the point where I need to enter my device
password—which succeeds—but then the boot process hangs at "Reached target
Basic System."

I'm then spit out to a dracut prompt, so I run lvm, and then lvdisplay, and I
see /dev/qubes_dom0/swap and /dev/qubes_dom0/root.  So, in my Xen.cfg file, I
have "rd.lvm.lv=/dev/qubes_dom0/root".  Here is my whole Xen.cfg file:

[global]
default=4.4.14-11.pvops.qubes.x86_64

[4.4.14-11.pvops.qubes.x86_64]
options=loglvl=all
kernel=vmlinuz-4.4.14-11.pvops.qubes.x86_64 root=/dev/sdb2/root
vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16 rd.lvm.lv=qubes_dom0/root rd.shell
ramdisk=initramfs-4.4.14-11.pvops.qubes.x86_64.img

Does this look correct?

regards,
deadseeds