On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 1:21:54 AM UTC-5, pixel fairy wrote:
> On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 11:51:08 AM UTC-8, xxdea...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Starting a new thread, as the previous seems to be mislabeled at this point
> > (Empty Xen.cfg after install).
> >
> > Booting from the install media for Qubes 3.2 works 100%, and so far, I've
> > used the automatic partitioning to do all of the work for me.  Anaconda
> > uses a trick for EFI Macs (ie. Macs that can no longer boot into "legacy"
> > BIOS mode) that creates an HFS+ ESP partition, ostensibly to boot the final
> > product.  This tricks the Mac into thinking that there is a bootable OS X
> > installation on the
>
> which macs have you tried this on? ive been playing with this on an 11,3 and
> had to install to an external and update to qubes-unstable to get it boot
> (maybe some efi incantations could allow qubes-stable, ill try that later)
> just tried it an hour ago and it lasted about 7 min before freezing.
>
> also, have you had problems with filevault? every time i boot qubes, i have
> to reset the filevault key.

I'm running Qubes 3.2 successfully on a Macbook Pro 10,1 (I just happened to
have one of these sitting around, and it's known to be good on the HCL), and
I'm actually posting from that machine right now.  I opted to blow OS X off of
this machine completely as I don't really need it, so Qubes is the only OS
currently on the machine.  It was a total pain to get wireless up and running,
but it works fine as long as I don't reboot (I just have run some modprobe and
insmod commands to get things running again).  So, no Filevault on this
computer.  Overall, this machine has been fairly stable.

The computer with which I'm having trouble is a 13-inch Macbook Pro 12,1.  This
machine doesn't support booting in "legacy" mode (BIOS compatibility mode,
which is how I installed on my other MBP), so it needs to boot using EFI.  This
is where I'm running into trouble.  I'm also trying to install to an external
USB drive, so I'm guessing that's only adding to my woes.  I'm also using
rEFInd as my initial bootloader.

I can get to a branded Qubes grub interface by using "configfile
/EFI/qubes/grub.cfg" from the grub command line I get dumped to after selecting
grub.efi in rEFInd, but I find it odd that I need to do so.  When I select
Qubes, I get an error message that says that it can't find the multiboot
command.  I'm fairly sure that this module needs to be insmod'd in at some
point, but I can't figure out where.  Or maybe it doesn't, and there's just
some hiccup along the way.  I've been doing a ton of reading about the EFI boot
process and GRUB, but I have no answers yet.  If you have any advice, I'm happy
to follow it!

regards,
deadseeds