On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 8:55:58 PM UTC-5, Unman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 04:12:28PM -0800, Otto Kratik wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 6:02:09 PM UTC-5, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
> > >

> > > Try running `xdg-desktop-menu forceupdate`.
> >
> > Ran it as su from dom0 terminal. Command was accepted, but no noticeable
> > effect or change, or output.
> >

> Have you checked the menu files?
>
> For xfce, in /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu you should have a
> <Menu> section with <Name> System that references <Directory>
> qubes-System-Tools.directory
> There should be an <Include> section containing <All/>
> and Excludes for X-Qubes_VM and X-Xfce-Toplevel
>
> The actual desktop files should be in /usr/share/applications: check
> that they are there.
> Confirm the Categories of a sample desktop file.
>
> I can't imagine that these have been deleted - if they have then you don't
> need to reinstall, just replace the missing files.
>
> let us know what you find (or not, as the case may be).

Here are the contents of the xfce-applications.menu file:

**********
<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN"
  "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/1.0/menu.dtd";>

<Menu>
    <Name>Xfce</Name>

    <!-- Read standard .directory and .desktop file locations -->
    <DefaultAppDirs/>
    <DefaultDirectoryDirs/>
    <DefaultMergeDirs/>

    <Include>
        <Category>X-Xfce-Toplevel</Category>
    </Include>
    <Exclude>
        <Filename>exo-file-manager.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>exo-mail-reader.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>exo-web-browser.desktop</Filename>
    </Exclude>

    <!-- Add stock tarball installs to menus -->
    <AppDir>/usr/local/share/applications</AppDir>

    <Layout>
        <Filename>xfce4-run.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>exo-terminal-emulator.desktop</Filename>
        <Separator/>
        <Menuname>System</Menuname>
        <Separator/>
        <Merge type="all"/>
        <Separator/>
        <Filename>xfce4-about.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>xfce4-session-logout.desktop</Filename>
    </Layout>

    <Menu>
        <Name>System</Name>
        <Directory>qubes-System-Tools.directory</Directory>
        <Include>
            <All/>
        </Include>
        <Exclude>
            <Category>X-Xfce-Toplevel</Category>
            <Category>X-Qubes-VM</Category>
        </Exclude>

        <Layout>
            <Filename>xfce-settings-manager.desktop</Filename>
            <Separator/>
            <Merge type="all"/>
        </Layout>
    </Menu>

    <!-- Read in overrides and child menus from applications.d -->
    <DefaultMergeDirs/>
</Menu>

***************

In /usr/share/applications I see:

kde (folfer)
kde4 (folder)
screensavers (folder)
gnome-mimeapps.list
kde-mimeapps.list
mimeapps.list
mineinfo.cache
xfce-mimeapps.list

Does that reveal anything? What should I be looking for within this location
further?

Thanks...