On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 08:04:08PM +0000, 5vo30m+lpi66xm176ugr7ruk via
qubes-users wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> First off happy new year! :)
>
> To get into the subject, I'm trying to get as many Qubes users around me as
> possible to convert my family and friends from Windowsism to Qubism. However
> in some cases I see that the Intel®™ (backdoor℠ inside®) hardware that they
> have does not support VT-x and VT-d.
>
> So I would like to better understand the implications of this. From the User
> FAQ:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/user-faq/#can-i-install-qubes-on-a-system-without-vt-x
>
> I understand that this means that:
>
> o Not being able to use fully virtualized VMs (e.g., Windows-based qubes)
>
> o No security benefit in having a separate NetVM
>
> But the points I wont to understand are:
>
> ~ Does this mean that one wont be able to install Windows in a VM in such
> system (that's it?)?
Yes.

> What does fully virtualized VM really mean?

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/glossary/#hvm

In short: a VM running OS not necessary modified to be running in a VM.

> ~ How is this relevant practically speaking? In other words, could an
> attacker deploy malware to NetVM (from an AppVM that is connected to the
> NetVM)? If not, in which situations can attacker get to the NetVM and
> therefore to dom0?

The way you've descried, or using some remote attack directly on NetVM -
because NetVM is what is facing external network directly.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab