On 01/11/2017 09:06 PM, joseph.yeng...@gmail.com wrote:

Hello.

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this, I'll be brief.

I'm a graphic designer, and a paranoid. With Qubes OS, I aspire to peform both
of these roles at the same time, even if that requires some adaptation. I'm
familiar with using Windows,the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop and
Illustrator, occasionally InDesign), and working with a 13' Cintiq tablet
(http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-displays/cintiq-13-hd). The laptop
I've installed Qubes on is an Dell Inspiron 15 5547
(http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/dell/inspiron_15_5547/545787/specs/ and
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_Inspiron_5547).

At first, I've tried installing running a windows 7 HVM, but gave up on the
idea after discovering it would not work, as of now, with my Cintiq due to
limitations on assigning it a USB controller
(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-users/windows$20usb%7Csort:relevance/qubes-users/PtUAMzZGUHU/efAzwol9AwAJ).
 Then, I've installed Archlinux, intending on using Wine to run the
applications. To be honest, I don't know if this is the most appropriate
solution. I'm figuring this thing out as I go along.

As of now, I've created an AppVM based upon the Archlinux template, and tried
to assign it an USB controller (00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8
Series USB xHCI HC (rev 04), and a GPU (03:00.0 Display controller: Advanced
Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265]). Eventually I'll
have to figure out where is the HDMI exit in the lspci output list but, as of
now, when assign those two pieces of hardware to the AppVM, it fails to boot.
Even worse, from that point on, any other VM will also fail to boot until I
restart the computer.

So, I would like to ask of you: is this solution most appropriate for its
intended use? If so, how does one solve its technical issues? If not, what are
the alternatives?

Again, I would like to thank you for your help.

*UPDATED NEW* forgot the questions at the bottom and accidental top post
Have you ran the HCL tools? does your chipset support IOMMU? (inspiron is a garbage consumer level device so probably not)

Graphics device assignment is an experimental feature, it doesn't work all of the time and you can only (easily) assign a secondary graphics device that isn't in use. I assume you tried to assign your primary video adapter...
It will only work with HVM.

If you want more than one video device on a laptop you can try an external pci-e device, they connect via various interfaces including expresscard.

Assigning a USB controller (all of it) doesn't involve emulation, any usb device will work as long as the guest supports it just like on bare metal.

I play the latest games in a virtual machine with an attached graphics card on QEMU, I will be happy to help if you have any further questions

It is what you should do if you want this and it is more secure than bare metal or emulation if you follow the above.

Using it with qubes is difficult but some users have reported success, maybe better to use another distro with xen or qemu if you want this.