четверг, 19 января 2017 г., 18:31:35 UTC+3 пользователь Asterysk написал:
> On Thursday, 19 January 2017 17:28:12 UTC+4, qmast...@gmail.com  wrote:
> > четверг, 19 января 2017 г., 12:16:12 UTC+3 пользователь qmast...@gmail.com
> > написал:

> > > To reduce the number of "EEPROMs" you could disconnect: a touch pad, DVD
> > > drive, web camera ; Maybe also a small board with LS-9901P part number
> > > (dont confuse with LA-9901P), see its' google pictures online - and
> > > according to G505S laptop's LA-A091P motherboard datasheet (which also
> > > contains a datasheet for laptop's smaller boards) this board has a
> > > Realtek chip for card reader. By the way, you could either find out what
> > > lines of flex cable the card reader is using, and install a custom jumper
> > > on them ; or maybe get a flex cable with the same number of pins / same
> > > pitch between them , find (from datasheet?) what lines that lonely USB
> > > port is using to get to Bolton-M3 FCH, get a USB female header and solder
> > > a custom adapter which adds only a USB port to laptop (so no card reader
> > > chip). Probably the hardest thing to do is to disconnect a web camera -
> > > you will need to tear down a screen which is quite risky. BTW screen also
> > > contains the internal reprogrammable memory (e.g. for storing EDID), and
> > > a malicious firmware could cause screen to transfer information through
> > > electromagnetic impulses (TEMPEST? -
> > > http://www.surasoft.com/articles/tempest.php )
> > >
> > > Actually it is possible to remove a motherboard with CPU, CPU Fan,
> > > Heatsink, Power Jack Wire, and Power Button Board attached (could make a
> > > custom power button adapter with huge convenient buttons!) and create a
> > > custom case for all this stuff. If you are lucky you could find someone
> > > selling a used G505S with broken screen for very cheap price, and do
> > > that. This way you avoid webcam, screen, dvd drive, touchpad, card reader
> > > chip, and internal keyboard (see below why)
> > >
> > > Maybe don't need to seal the USB ports yet: it not just seriously
> > > reducing the usability of this laptop, but also makes it impossible to
> > > connect a USB keyboard. Maybe you would prefer that, when you type, your
> > > keystrokes are going through external keyboard's USB controller, rather
> > > than through laptop's Embedded Controller KB9012 which has a closed
> > > source firmware and controls PS/2-like laptop's internal keyboard. You
> > > could make your own open hardware USB keyboard with open source firmware,
> > > and using it will be slightly safer (and slightly less convenient) than
> > > laptop's internal one
> > >
> > > Also, another possible hardware mod (not related to security) - instead
> > > of DVD drive you could install a fan for extra cooling, see
> > > http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/10mm-5v-cooler-instead-of-laptops-dvd-slimline-sata.797064/
> > >  . Although dont know if it worth it, because some really great external
> > > USB coolers are available -
> > > https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-LCD-Vacuum-USB-Cooler-Air-Extracting-Cooling-Fan-Turbo-Radiator-Low-Noise-Desgin-for-Laptop/32231641439.html

> [...]

I think that you will not encounter MBR issue if you are using closed source
"official" UEFI BIOS - because it is UEFI and so your Qubes should install GPT
instead of MBR . But you could have other problems: e.g. I dont know if IOMMU
is enabled in "official" BIOS - even if it is enabled, its implementation might
be incorrect... Also last time I remember - "official" BIOS works bad with
Linux, could not even install Ubuntu to this laptop until I made empty 1GB at
the beginning of hard drive and changed boot order

Yes, I order everything from AliExpress because:
1) want to save up as much as possible and AliExpress usually has the lowest
prices (partially because higher supply, partially because no Paypal extra fees
included, partially because Chinese government subsidies their shipping so they
could sell some items for $0.5 with free international shipping and still
manage to earn some profit)
2) no Paypal - there are many reasons to hate it, but here is an additional: it
wants to share the list of person's purchases with a government, e.g. in my
country it started to ask government ID of customers, and accounts which didn't
provide it - were blocked and all funds are frozen
3) AliExpress has a better customers protection than eBay/Paypal, also at eBay
purchases you can open a dispute only during 45 days since the order, while at
AliExpress you could ask the seller to extend the order's protection as much as
you want

For me the shipping is about 1 month on average, maybe much faster for you if
your country has a good logistics, but here is a problem - there will be a
Chinese New Year big holidays soon, some packages which would not be quick
enough to leave a country before 28th January could be stuck there for a while.
Thats probably why they are showing this long delivery time

What is a CPU in your G505S ? E.g. if it is A8, you could upgrade it to
A10-5750M, just search for "5750M" at AliExpress (just make sure to look at the
photo, because some sellers put 5750M in title while another CPU is displayed.
Everywhere should be 5750M, both on photo and in description) . 1 week ago it
costed $55, now it costs $61 cheapest price, but I think they will eventually
decrease their price because A10 of previous generation could be found for $40,
so maybe in a couple of years I will order a spare CPU ;)