On 2017-01-19 9:39 AM, Антон Чехов wrote:
> On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 5:25:00 PM UTC+1, Reg Tiangha wrote:

>>> Thanks for your answer. I added the lines to the coldkernel.config and
>>> compiled the kernel again (in the existing coldkernel-template). Don't know
>>> if that's a mistake? Upon starting an appVM with coldkernel the VM pauses
>>> (yellow) and the log is giving me loads of this:
>>> "grsec: denied priority change of process rtkit-daemon:1115 (...)"
>>> This applies to the templateVM as well so I am asking myself what's best
>>> practice of updating the coldkernel template?
>>> It is obvious that I don't know my way around grsec and I have to do more
>>> research into how to do things.
>>>

>> Yeah, I get that too. I think you can ignore it in the sense that the
>> VMs will still work despite the error, although I don't know if there
>> are really any adverse effects.
>>
>> I haven't tried to fix it myself, though, but I assume a PAX exception
>> would need to be set for the daemon in order to "fix" it (not hard to
>> do, but I lack the time to troubleshoot at the moment).
>>
>> What the rtkit-daemon is:
>>
>> "RealtimeKit is a D-Bus system service that changes the
>> scheduling policy of user processes/threads to SCHED_RR (i.e. realtime
>> scheduling mode) on request. It is intended to be used as a secure
>> mechanism to allow real-time scheduling to be used by normal user
>> processes."
>>
>> I don't know how it affects the operations of VMs though and whether or
>> not it being denied by the grsec kernel is actually a big deal.
>
> But I can't start neither the AppVm nor the template anymore so it is kind of
> a big deal, don't you think?
> That's why I am asking how to update.
> Do I have to start over from scratch or should it work from the template?
> Apparently something went wrong although everything looked fine during the
> process of compiling.

My templates and AppVMs start up just fine despite having that error.
What do you mean when you say yours don't? As in, they don't start up at
all, or they do but the indicator on Qubes Manager for that VM is yellow
instead of green and never changes even after the CPU usage drops to 0%?
And what VMs are you running the kernel on? Are they Debian based or
Fedora based? And what versions of those distros?