On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 1:07:01 PM UTC-4, raf...@elitemail.org wrote:
> On 05/24/2015 01:38 PM, eldorado wrote:
> > On 05/24/2015 10:57 PM, Vít Šesták wrote:
> >> a. There is some troubleshooting guide for using Nvidia with Nouveau
> >> (i.e. unofficial) drivers:
> >> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/NvidiaTroubleshooting/
> >> b. There is guide for installing official Nvidia drivers:
> >> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/InstallNvidiaDriver/
> >> c. You may want to disable the Nvidia card and use the Intel GPU by
> >> installing Bumblebee. This is what I've done, but my laptop uses Intel
> >> GPU by default, so I am not sure if this is applicable for you. I've
> >> shared my experience with installing Bumblebee, the annoying bug #988
> >> is fixed and the update is hopefully released. See
> >> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-users/bumblebee/qubes-users/Ub_ZbOEde44/1a75ITxR_HgJ
> >> for more details.
> > if you can solve completely this problem please write an easy guide for
> > others :)
> > thank you
> >

> I have a GTX 770M, and here is what I had to do to get R3 to install
> (and then subsequently run). A good deal of this is based on pre-Qubes
> experience with Fedora. I've never heard of Bumblebee and do not have an
> option to disable either graphics card in BIOS. YMMV.
>
> - boot Qubes verified install media
> - edit kernel options (hit tab IIRC) for the main install option (not
> the basic graphics one)
>  - find the line that starts with 'vmlinuz-...' and ends with 'rghb
> quiet' and at the end add the following: nouveau.modeset=0
> rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau
>   - hit f-10 to try and boot.
>  - if that doesn't work add those two options plus: video=vesa:off
>   - hit f-10 to try and boot
>  - you may need to finally also add: acpi=off
>
> Those four options got me to the point where I could install with the
> GUI (needed to go that route to use custom partitioning with custom LUKS).
>
> After installing I only needed to permanently add the first two options
> to boot normally.

I just had a similar problem trying to install 3.2. The fix was to just add
nomodeset to the end of the grub config line.

I.e., this is the default grub line when you hit tab:

mboot.c32 xen.gz ocnsole=none --- vmlinuz
inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=Qubes-R3.2-x86_64 i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 quiet rhgb
--- initrd.img

Just add nomodeset after rhgb like so:

mboot.c32 xen.gz ocnsole=none --- vmlinuz
inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=Qubes-R3.2-x86_64 i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 quiet rhgb
nomodeset --- initrd.img

The graphical installer worked fine after that.

This appears to be an installer issue only. The booted system worked fine as
far as graphics go.