вторник, 24 января 2017 г., 12:50:56 UTC+3 пользователь pixel fairy написал:
> On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 2:04:43 AM UTC-8, qmast...@gmail.com wrote:
> > суббота, 21 января 2017 г., 22:12:10 UTC+3 пользователь
> > e5f3c2ea89...@tutanota.com написал:
> > > ... It makes you feel significantly less safe when using anything other
> > > than Qubes :]
> >
> > Haha you are a master of clickbait titles :]
>
> lets make it real then.
>
> - picky about hardware. probably the biggest issue now.
>
> - no 3d acceleration. xengt / kvmgt might fix that, but last i checked, that
> was a huge attack surface which no one at itl wants go over.
>
> - some hardware will have performance issues even just watching videos as a
> result of the above.
>
> - no nested virtualization. again, big, complex attack surface. two common
> use cases are vagrant and android development.
>
> - only a few border colors to choose for appvms, so its easy to end up re
> using colors.
>
> - for some reason, dom0 borders are blue, one of the appvm colors.
>
> - you can copy / paste, but not copy / autotype into a vm. the support seems
> to be in the gui protocol, just no interface to do it. tried to script it
> with xdotool, but couldnt get window ids.
>
> thats all i can think of as real disadvantages. i would like to see qubes on
> wayland. i think it greatly reduce attack surface and probably benefit
> performance.
>
> also, no support for ipv6, though i think thats slated for qubes 4.x
>

> no 3d acceleration

There is 3D acceleration but its only for dom0 (on Qubes R3.2 it is through
Mesa 11.1.0 which gives OpenGL)

> no nested virtualization

I was sad when installed VirtualBox, tried launching it and it said that
something like "not supported on Xen hosts" :P At other Linux distros it is
possible to nest virtualizations one inside another, but only for 32 bit OS for
inside VMs (last time I checked)

> no support for ipv6

not really a problem. it is 2017 and I still haven't encountered any situation
where IPv6 is actually being used, despite working a lot with computers and
routers (IPv6 is there but nobody is using it... Never ever had to use those
ridiculous IPv6 addresses, yet)