First off: it seems that this is a known issue, as the Inspiron 3520 uses the
same wireless card as the 3521, which is known to be unsupported due to
freezing when networking is enabled (that story is from the HCL).  However, it
seems that people have create workarounds for other distros using these cards
(http://askubuntu.com/questions/175104/how-do-i-install-bcm43142-wireless-drivers-for-dell-vostro-3460-3560#215923),
 and the problem stems from hybrid wifi-bluetooth drivers from Broadcom.

So, my question is not "why doesn't it work", my question is:

Does anyone have enough knowledge to guide or explain to me how i might be able
to work around this issue, and possibly use some of the knowledge from the
other distros to get it working?  Currently if I even try to install qubes it
freezes on first boot on the step "setting up networking".  is there a way to
bypass this step, etc?  So that maybe I can get into qubes at least and play
around with the drivers?

Finally,  I was able to get Qubes working 100% on my other Dell, an Inspiron
13z 5323.  The difference, I believe, is that I have the config of that laptop
with a different network card than the 5320/5321 (aka the Intel® Centrino®
Wireless-N 2230 + BT 4.0, instead of the Dell wireless 1703/1704).  Not sure if
that helps, but there it is.

Thanks,

Chris