On 01/29/2017 02:47 PM, Predinosaur wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the answer ! I need to know what MB and CPU, or 'pack/bundle' i need to put in it now, but this seems *really* interesting :)
Hope i'll be able to put enough RAM, and good CPU in it :)

Regards

Sent with ProtonMail <https://protonmail.com> Secure Email.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [qubes-users] Re: Workstation *Barebone* Hardware recommendation
Local Time: January 29, 2017 1:28 PM
UTC Time: January 29, 2017 12:28 PM
From: grzegorz.chodzi...@gmail.com
To: qubes-users <qubes-users@googlegroups.com>
predinos...@protonmail.com

W dniu niedziela, 29 stycznia 2017 12:01:34 UTC+1 użytkownik Predinosaur napisał:
> Hi all,
>

> Someone want to share his thoughts and recommendations for a 'small factor' / barebone workstation that will be working with Qubes 4 ...and more ? please.
>
> ex: NUC model.., Zotac model ..etc
>

> I need to keep my current workstation, and want a secondary workstation with Qubes.
>
> So a small computer to put behind my monitors will be great :) I need something small size, and fast (ssd + 16 or 32GB RAM),, compatible with latest HCL requirements for qubes 4.x and in the future (don't want to buy a new pc each year..)
>

> I know it 's general topic discussion but if someone want to share exactly the model it's be great. I'm not experienced with CPUs and technology (VT-x, VT-d, and TPM..), just want to be sure all security features and technology will work wit Qubes.
>

> I'm actually reading the HCL web page and some barebone got my attention :
>
> GIGABYTE
> BRIX Pro report (GIGABYTE-BRIX_Pro_-_Ultra_Compact_PC_(M4HM85P-00)
>
> ref https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-hcl/blob/master/GIGABYTE-BRIX_Pro_-_Ultra_Compact_PC_(M4HM85P-00)-Bjarne_Thomsen.yml
>

> So if someone want to share another experience/recommendation, it's the kind of barebone i'm looking for !
>
> Thanks a lot community for your advices/clues/recommendations.
>

> Dan

I currently use a custom mini-ITX PC built inside Lian-Li TU100B. Not exactly a NUC but the entire PC is smaller than my cat so pretty small.

Here's a pretty good picture showing how small this case is:
http://cdn.eteknix.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/DSC_1030.jpg

Hit me up if You want to know the rest of my PC specs.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "qubes-users" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/e361b058-92e6-4ef2-a62b-3e72e79ab55b%40googlegroups.com.

MB/CPU/RAM is highly dependent on your budget so without that info I can't give out any recommendations aside from posting my own specs. Here are my specs and a brief explanation why I chose this specific part and not any other:

 * *Case*: Lian-Li TU100B (chosen because of really small footprint and
   the carrying handle which makes this build rather portable)
 * *CPU*: Intel i7-6800K (chosen because it was only slightly more
   expensive than i7-6700k and it has two more physical cores and its
   Passmark score is 3k points higher. Downside is that it uses rather
   unpopular X99 chipset and doesn't come with integrated GPU) Killer
   performance at the cost of (some) convenience.
 * *Motherboard*: AsRock X99 mini-itx/ac. On of only two Mini-ITX X99
   motherboards. An obvious choice here.v Advantages are: M.2 SSD slot,
   Mini-PCIe slot for WiFi/Bluetooth card. USB 3.1 controller, PS/2
   controller, comes with an integrated air cooler, has a TPM slot.
   Disadvantages: Only one PS/2 port so the mouse needs to be USB.
   Included air cooler doesn't fit the Lian-Li case. Included
   Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card is made by Broadcom so doesn't work under linux
   out of the box. If you decide to buy this mobo you'll have to either
   compile the driver manually or buy an intel wifi card.
 * *RAM*: Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz 32GB. No point in buying faster RAM
   since neither mobo nor CPU support it. I bought 32GB because that's
   the maximum you can fit on this board.
 * *GPU*: Nvidia Geforce GTX750Ti. I bought this GPU because it is
   small enough to fit inside this case and doesn't require a separate
   power cable. This is important because in a case this small cable
   management is a real pain in the ass. I highly recommend buying a
   GPU specifically marketed as Mini-ITX compatible due to size
   constraints.
 * *SSD*: Samsung M.2 PCIe SSD. I bought this SSD for two reasons. The
   first is that it's an M.2 SSD so it doesn't require any cables (same
   as GPU). The second reason is that drive performance takes the
   biggest hit in Qubes due to virtualization overhead so to offset
   that loss a fast SSD is recommended.
 * *Cooling*: Cooler Master Seidon 120V. One of few AIO water-cooling
   kits compatible with this board. Bought it because it was marginally
   more expensive than air cooler compatible with the board and the
   case and offers better temps. Keeps CPU at ~35C at idle and ~50C at
   full load.
 * *PSU*: Corsair SFF 600W - Just buy any SFF compatible power supply
   that's not from a no-name brand. I bought this one because I
   consider Corsair one of few trustworthy hardware vendors.

This build will yield you full Qubes 4.0 compliance, great performance and no Wi-Fi out of the box so either roll with it or buy an Intel NIC.