> I will probably eventually create a Windows HVM and just run necessary stuff
> in there.  I didn't want to run an entire instance of Windows just to run the
> Kindle app.

There's a good chance you don't need to just for Kindle.  I've run many
applications in bare Wine, until I found good replacements for them.

> I don't know how people can think POL (and presumably Wine) is a viable
> option.

As I mentioned above, they aren't actually 1:1 in terms of working or not
working.  Wine works, the caveat is that you have to make it work with your
app, which can be a real PITA.

> What this has (re)taught me is the evils of DRM.  There are a lot of books
> that are Kindle only.

I believe for a while I was able to use Chrome and the Kindle store to read
kindle books?  Perhaps that's an option.

As for DRM, well that's why I still buy physical books.  The ones who really
suffer are the authors, since DRM forces so many people who would have paid for
the content to find an alternative that works.

I used to use a lot of commercial software on Windows, but after two years the
validation servers would cease to exist and my apps went *p00f*.  Thousands of
dollars of unusable software. I've since happily spent money for apps and media
that don't require DRM.  I won't buy anything with DRM.  Vote with your wallet.