On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 7:48:06 AM UTC-5, Michael Carbone wrote:
> Franz:
> > On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 2:13 AM, Chris Laprise
> > wrote:

> >> This is pretty dubious advice. What is to stop an attacker from breaking
> >> into the mobile router and using that as an attack platform to break into
> >> your main device? A few minutes...?
>
> The point of Mike Perry's strategy is to (1) protect against baseband
> access/tracking by only using a phone's WiFi and to (2) protect against
> the current poor situation of firewalling in Android to *protect against
> non-Tor identity leaks*.
>
> It seems pretty orthogonal to what you want to discuss with this thread
> - using mobile routers as a firewall for non-phone devices (Qubes)
> against active attackers.

Sorry yes, mentioning MP's use of a phone here was perhaps a bit tangential but
as he seems to be a fairly well respected sec/priv person and uses an
external/mobile router (a model that I thought could be applied to my Qubes
opsec useage if it was applicable/made-sense) I thought I'd ask.

Anyway, according to Chris it seems that its a bit moot as I think he confirmed
that Qubes separate firewall and net VMs kind of serve the same purpose?