On 2017-02-10 15:32, Oleg Artemiev wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Andrew David Wong
> <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote:
>>
>> [Please keep the list CCed.]
>>> Yep. KDE by default has this from the box. Xfce has nothing
>>> for this. That's why "by default"
>> Hm, then perhaps it's really Xfce who should integrate this
>> upstream?
> It would be nice.
>
> Who will ask them for an integration? I guess unless enough people
> will do - no one will decide to implement.

Users who care enough to ask. :)

>> It seems like it would be suboptimal for the Qubes Project to try
>> to maintain a fork of Xfce that goes beyond Qubes-specific
>> functions.
> you haven't to fork and maintain Xfce entirely. All you need - an
> option for restriction in qubes configuration for a VM and a script
> that will autogenerate configuration of restrictions offered by a
> tool you choose.
>
> 1st step is done: you adding a tool allowing such a restriction
> (the tool is already selected for a future Qubes, AFAIK)

See:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/qubes-users/jtjyq8N6bY0/discussion

According to that thread, wmctrl (which is supposed to be like
Devilspie2) is already installed by default, and xdotool, which is
different, will be pre-installed in a future version.

> now the second step: allow users easily automate restrictions based
> on that tool via qubes configuration interface.

But this is still a nontrivial amount of work, and it's yet another
thing that the Qubes team would have to maintain. Help from the
community would probably be required.

>>> Not. :( A lot of questions appear to understand where to make
>>> changes at 1st. Unsure that I'll be able to make such a
>>> patches.

>>> That is not what every one want but this is what _everyone_
>>> usually wastes time on - when powered down and powered up to
>>> continue .

>>> Isn't the reason "every one wastes time that way" above is not
>>> enough to add in whish list "make life better for every one"
>>> by enabling option to restore last state of running VMs this
>>> way"?
>>>

>> It sounds like you're conflating a few different ideas here:
>
>> including Devilspie2 by default,
> you should include by default at least one of tools allowing such
> a restriction - choose within Qubes team. I've no idea which is
> better automated from outside w/o requirements for user
> interaction.

(See above. wmctrl is already included by default. I have no idea
whether it's good for the purpose you describe, though.)

>> locking apps to virtual desktops,
> Yep.
>
>> and saving state.
> Yep.
>
>> I think the case for the last one is probably stronger than the
>> first two (given what has been said so far), but maybe this is a
>> question for the UX experts.
> Yep, every one is wasting time restoring state, not every one
> needs desktop-bound appllications.

>>> All these restrictions are about:
>>>
>>> 0. Save time - all appears same place (mean desktop set) - no
>>> annoying window reorder . 1. Easier to group desktops and
>>> activities by roles.
>> These might be particularly subjective to the user's workflow.
> Yep, but when you've lots of VMs running at the same time w/o
> desktops this looks messy.

But this is about how individual users organize their own windows, how
they conceive of window organization on a desktop, and whether their
sensibilities about orderliness happen to match your own. Again, it's
very subjective.

This is a bit like saying that some of your neighbors' rooms are too
messy for your taste, so your apartment complex should instate new
rules governing orderliness inside their apartments.

Also, remember that some people are RAM-limited and only run 1-2 VMs
at a time (or simply prefer to use Qubes that way).

>>> I did not request to enforce everyone work that way. I request
>>> putting an _option_ that  user could _enable_, not forced to
>>> use by default.
>> Well, that's what I mean. Why do you want to have the option to
>> have your OS force you to keep certain windows on/off certain
>> virtual desktops? Why not just place them there (or not)
>> yourself? Is it about preventing user error or something?
> It is about:
>
> - adding some stability for user workplace.
>
> - stop wasting time searching windows of a certain role - if role
> is bound to a desktop set - have no need to click  one by one all
> 12 desktops i use. For example - make instant messaging window
> always be in one place.
>
> - stop annoyng mess when workflow on a role is interrupted by a
> window from another role
>
> - workaround on lack of colors within qubes - I've only 8 and two
> of them are subject for static color binding - "insecure things for
> any role", "secure things for any role","Dom0 color". So only 5
> left. I.e.  I could mark 5 extra roles within single human
> activity. Okay, but what is I want to work as diffrent persons? Or
> more common when I work for two companies and want to 've diffrent
> colors for same activity in each of them? If I cannot mark by color
> - I'd then mark by desktop.
>
> - easier activity grouping within a role.
>
> other users may add here more usecases.

Ok, thanks. I agree that there is the potential for sensible Qubes
integration/features here. Tracking:

Note, however, that the issue of wanting more than eight colors is
already being tracked separately:

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS