I've "fixed it" by modifying the GDM config file and setting it to
automatically login without entering credentials.

Not entirely happy tho, this won't create a xorg.conf file, and when I try to
generate 1 with X -configure :1 I get an error saying it failed as number of
created screens do not match number of detected devices. This means I'm stuck
with 640x480 for now...

Any ideas are appreciated!