On 2017-02-16 18:20, Fabrizio Romano Genovese wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to write a little script to globally update my qubes
> templates. It should work more or less like this:
>
> - It prepares a window layout for i3, so that all the opening
> terminals from the various templates will occupy the right place
> in a dedicated desktop; - Then it launches the terminal in every
> template vm, feeding it a nice 'sudo dnf update' - When the update
> is finished, one should have the chance to close the vm by
> pressing enter like it happens now on qubes manager.
>
> I already implemented the first point (window layout) but I'm
> having problems at launching the terminals in the right way. I'm
> basically passing to the vm commands like 'xterm -e "sudo dnf
> update"', but what happens is that the terminal opens up, checks
> for updates and then closes without giving me the chance to say
> y/n.
>
> As I mentioned above, in qubes manager when one clicks on "update
> vm" a nice terminal window opens up, does everything it has to do
> and then asks you if you want to shutdown the vm or not by
> pressing enter or control+c, respectively, if I remember well.
> Since I would really like to have a similar feature in my script, I
> am wondering if qubes-manager calls some script to behave like it
> does.
>
> If this is the case, I could just call the same script once for
> every template and solve my problems without struggle.
>
> Thanks for your Time, Fab

Have you considered not starting terminals in the TemplateVMs? By
using --pass-io and not starting the GUI of each TemplateVM, you can
save resources and hassle. Here's an example:

https://gist.github.com/andrewdavidwong/d0b109186de65835255d467ae103c289

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS