Well, I have considered it, yes, and it's true that launching many
terminals can be resource intensive. But it's also faster:  Using & I can
launch all the terminals at the same time, while cycling as in the script
you linked I should wait for the previous update process to finish.

Moreover, I confess that staring at the terminals for 5 mins every couple
of days relaxes me, so I like it better :)

Anyway I feel like I'm missing something, what I want to do doesn't look so
difficult and I'm not sure why it doesn't work!

Cheers,
Fab