On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 11:09 PM, Chris Laprise <tas...@openmailbox.org> wrote:
>>> On 02/20/2017 09:16 AM, Oleg Artemiev wrote:
> I mean apart from what the installer can support, in your case (I've read
> some of your other partitioning messages) it seems unnecessary.
Yes, but when I installed opensuse last time I've seeb elegant
powerful interface - less things to do by hands.

>>> The idea that you have to treat SSDs as fragile has not withstood the
>>> test
>>> of time. In fact, SSDs are widely regarded as /more/ durable than HDDs
>>> now.
>>
>> I've bought my hdd 3-4 years ago (don't remember exactly). Newer ssd
>> may be better.
>> My one.. I just want to pay 1 day for installation and then keep this
>> for years. So why not to think twice and make setup that will be just
>> better in resource utilization?
> IIRC, about any SSD post 2011 should be quite durable... so a Samsung 830 or
> similar vintage should have no particular worries about longevity.
nice to hear, but anyway - how long those "no particular worries" go?
I mean that ssd by design is less stable to writes than hdd.
Why not then to partition just that way when ssd will get less writes?
It's not something really hard to make custom partitioning (except you
can't do it via installer).

>>> And I don't know of any Qubes Btrfs users (incl. myself) who employ
>>> special
>>> drive geometries or other complicated setups to save SSDs from wear.
>>
>> Okay, now you may memorize me ;) I always attempt to get some extra
>> customization from my PC. =)
>>
>>> With that said, I have found it impossible to get anaconda to do anything
>>> with LUKS+Btrfs beyond the default, one-partition setup.
>>> Even specifying a
>>> single existing Btrfs root partition is probably going to fail.
>>
>> I've got installed Qubes 3.2 for testing purposes on a hdd only w/o
>> encryption just right now w/ root on btrfs. It is possible via fedora
>> installer, but I except:
>> *) had to kill efi partition - not to confuse stupid asus n56vz bios
>> *)  bootloader configuration - I had to install grub2 non efi rpm
>> manually + install grub mnually . Thanks - documentation is pretty
>> accessible from mobile phone - I install grub rarely so was in need on
>> some reference for my dual boot. :)
>>
>>> IMHO, the only way to get Btrfs running with Qubes is to do a plain
>>> install with the
>>> Btrfs option
>>
>> btrfs is just a switch for default partition type for new partitions I
>> guess.
>
> Yes, its just a switch, which anaconda will proceed to handle entirely wrong
> should you have anything 'fancy' specified (existing Btrfs+LUKS, multiple
> volumes, etc).
Last time I wanted something like this I made everything by hands in
console, then made anaconda reread disk,
then just binded mount points to everything that it shows.After that
it's okay to continue w/ setup.

> Usually what happens when I specify Btrfs with anything but
> defaults is anaconda forgets encryption step... Whoops!
hmm.. This time I've installed Qubes 3.2 for testing I didn't check
encryption at all - looks I'm lucky. %)

>>> ---Anything else must be done as adjustments after installation.
>> I prefer to do customisations at install time. After testing I'll
>> records btrfs stats, kill this one Qubes install, repartition and
>> encrypt by hands, then just make installation eat my point of view.
>> That's annoying, but I spent lots of time w/ computers to give up on
>> just ugly installer. ;)
> Just thought I'd offer my experience in case it saves you some time and
> effort.
Nice. Mebbe I'll try once.

> BTW, besides not supporting raid 5/6 (no big deal for me), the other
> downside for using Btrfs is still free-space reporting. It still isn't done
> in a realistic manner, IMO... you may need to keep 30-60GB free space at all
> times to avoid the fs going into read-only mode.
omg... Thank you - now it looks I don't want btrfs anymore. %) I
haven't used btrfs yet - just
wat I've read sounds promising. But pay 60Gigs for that - doesn't seem
to be what I want.
Better I'll go w/ custom lvm + some patching to get r/o root. :)

--
Bye.Olli.
gpg --search-keys grey_olli , use key w/ fingerprint below: