On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 03:09:20AM -0800, Jarle Thorsen wrote:
> Unman:
> > Jarle - there are a few things you could do. One of them would be to
> > distribute a static route using your DHCP server -  implementing
> > a classless static route if your server supports it would be best. You
> > would need to put the external iface of the netVM as the gateway to the
> > internal 10.137.0.0/16 network. This won't be easy with DHCP unless you
> > put a reservation in place.
> >
> > Alternatively you use proxy arp on the external interface of the netVM,
> > as you suggest. You don't need it on the vif interfaces because  you
> > have the relevant routing information in the netVM. (As you are
> > connecting qubes directly to the netVM these routes will be set up
> > automatically. You can check this with 'ip route' - If you DID use a
> > firewall you would need to add a static route on the netVM with the fw
> > as gateway to the qubes connected to it.)
>
> So my local network is 10.0.0.0/16 and default GW for all DHCP clients
> (including my NetVM) is 10.0.0.7
>
> The dynamic IP of the NetVM might be 10.0.1.23. So if a client on my
> "outside" network try to contact an AppVM (10.137.4.23 for example), will it
> send an arp-request (letting arp_proxy do it's trick), or will it just send
> the packet to default GW (who currently has no route to 10.137.4.0/24)?

Doh, I've only just realised that your network is class B - so proxy arp
wont work as arp doesn't cross networks. Shouod have read nmore
carefully. Sorry to waste your time.

Yes, you're right - the packets will go to the default GW and you need
to have a route on there to the GW to the qubes - ie the IP of sys-net.
I still think that a better method would be to give out a route via DHCP
so all clients have that route, but it depends on you being able to do
classless static routing and using a DHCP reservation on sys-net.

Otherwise you need sys-net to broadcast a route which will be picked up
by the default GW on your 10.0/16 network.

cheers

unman