On 02/27/2017 12:51 PM, Chris Laprise wrote:

> In some backup systems, each backup appears complete to the system,
> even though it was created with incremental deltas. A benefit of this
> is you can delete any backup in the set to reclaim space, without
> affecting any of the remaining backups---a single backup set can be
> updated in rotation forever. Its akin to block-level deduplication.
> Another benefit is that all backups except for the first will transmit
> only deltas; data that never changes never gets re-transmitted.
>
> Chris

Duplicati does this.  It's really well-designed and does exactly what
you want.  It also does encryption as well.

If this PoC is sound (it appears to be) then Duplicati can be repurposed
to substitute for Duplicity altogether.

File-based backup really does sound like the right thing to do, for so
many reasons.  It's really dumb to back up big, big files, even if they
could be done incrementally (as I do with my own Duplicity-based
solution for dom0).

--
    Rudd-O
    http://rudd-o.com/