On 02/27/2017 03:48 PM, Dominique St-Pierre Boucher wrote:
Hello,

I have setup the mac address change for qubes 3.2 with debian 9 as my sys-net.

I am trying to figure out a way to randomize the hostname that is sent to the
DHCP server. This is in an effort to minimize the risk of os identification.

I'm not quite sure why you need to hide you hostname on your local DHCP network. Is the purpose so that you "feel" more hidden? Anyone running p0f on your local network will guess your OS regardless of your IP/MAC/hostname randomization, and people outside your domain won't have your MAC or DHCP hostname, just your IP unless you/IT publish your name through DNS to the outside.

But, You could try:

sys-net>$ nmcli general hostname
               <<< mine was empty
sys-net>$ sudo nmcli general hostname xyzpdq.nowhere.com
sys-net>$ sudo systemctl restart systemd-hostnamed
sys-net>$ nmcli general hostname
xyzpdq.nowhere.com
sys-net>$ cat /etc/hostname
xyzpdq.nowhere.com

You may need to disconnect and reconnect to get the DHCP server lease to acknowledge a change. Mine did not propagate to DNS right away but eventually did.

nmcli --help

Dominique