On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 08:26:30AM +0100, evo wrote:

> On 03/06/2017 12:41 AM, Unman wrote:

> >> ok, so the /rw is on the VM and not in the dom0, understand.
> >>
> >> do i need a special name for the iptable-rules in /rw/config?
> >>
> >> maby just a example for permiting 8.8.8.8:80 ... i know its the iptables
> >> thing :)
> >

> > For proxyVMs (like sys-firewall) there is a built-in mechanism you can
> > exploit.
> > Say you want to allow traffic from 10.137.100.1 to 8.8.8.8:80, but you
> > have already hit that 3k limit.
> > Edit the file /rw/config/qubes-firewall-user-script, and add the line:
> > iptables -I FORWARD -s 10.137.100.1 -d 8.8.8.8 -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
> >
> > chmod +x /rw/config/qubes-firewall-user-script
> >
> > This script is called whenever a new qube is attached to the proxyVM
> > and the relevant iptables rules are automatically rebuilt.
> >
> > You can also build your own custom rulesets and store them in an
> > arbitrarily named file called from /rw/config/qubes-firewall-user-script,
> > and you can, of course, do anything you like from this file, which will
> > be triggered when a new qube is attached: that is, you arent limited to
> > firewall manipulation.
> >
> > unman
> >

> thanks!
> so i can just write the line for one rule, without writing the whole
> script for iptables.

Yes - the rest of the rules will be taken from the entries you have
configured in the manager for that qube.

> so i can call it however i want or use the qubes-firewall-user-script
> file... is it principally the same? or does qubes-firewall-user-script
> replace the whole rules i already have?

qubes-firewall-user-script is just a script that is called after the
usual Qubes firewall service process - that reads the rules set per
attached qube and instantiates them on the ProxyVM.
A significant difference is that a rule you set in
qubes-firewall-user-script will be set every time that script is called,
whereas one set in manager (or in qvm-firewall) will only be applied
when the relevant qube is attached.
It doesn't replace the other rules unless you explicitly ask it to do so
- you could do this if you wanted. Since it's just a script you can do
anything you like in there, as I've said. This would include setting
rules depending on what qubes were attached (e.g if qube A and qube B are
BOTH attached to ProxyVM open up inbound access to qube A).

> the problem i have now is... i forgot to delete the "overloaded" rule
> from the VM and now i can not start it. is there any other way to start
> it, or to delete this overloaded 3k-file? is this file on sys-firewall
> or on the VM itself?

Just delete the rules from the manager interface or look at qvm-firewall
(in dom0). The help there is pretty good.