On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 10:59 PM, Drew White <drew.qu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Question: Why does it not work properly then?

Answer: Must be because of something you changed on your system.

It *does* appear to work properly by default, confirmed by not seeing
the NTP traffic you describe on two Qubes machines, one of which is
literally a perfectly unmodified default install of 3.2 I have just
for testing things.

> Thus, it kept running /usr/sbin/ntpdate pool.ntp.org
>
> Until I changed that, it was futile.

Feel free to send patches to allow users to easily specify an ntp server(s).

>> > So the ClockVM ONLY interacts with Dom0. Fair enough. Then it would be a
>> > good addition to allow it to update each Guest.
>>
>> No. That would be a bad design for several reasons. Dom0 already does
>> this periodically. This is better than what I assume you suggest
>> (ClockVM directly invoking qubes.setDateTime in each guest) because
>> the service invocations are implicitly rate-limited and contents
>> filtered by dom0. It is also not desired for the ClockVM VM to even
>> know which other VMs exist, let alone know which ones are running and
>> need their clock set.
>
> I was more thinking the ClockVM (CVM) gets the time, then Dom0 gets the time,
> then Dom0 updates everything, it would all be via Dom0, but the CVM gets the
> time initially, and if it has a difference in the NTP compared to the time
> set in the CVM it then proceeds to update each guests time without calling an
> external NTP server, and keeps it all inside the Guest regime.

Exactly.

>From my quick reading of the source and observations of my systems,
that appears to be exactly how it is implemented right now.

Note also that this is not what you initially described in your first email.