On 2017-03-19 2:08 PM, cooloutac wrote:
> On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 2:25:17 PM UTC-4, Reg Tiangha wrote:

>>> This would be wonderful. I tried to create one by removing some package but
>>> not a big impact on space or memory usage.
>>>
>>> I will follow this thread with interest!
>>>
>>> Dominique
>>>

>> You can create one yourself using qubes-builder (
>> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-builder ); I just did it myself a
>> couple of days ago, and it's great! I tried to do do a stretch-minimal
>> but it failed somewhere in the middle, but jessie-minimal worked fine
>> and I've switched all of my service vms to use that with coldkernel.
>> I'll probably get to creating a Thunderbird-only VM using that template
>> soon.
>>
>> I've noticed that there have been a lot of requests for debian-minimal
>> templates come through; it'd be nice if one could be made and put up in
>> the Qubes repository (even if it was templates-community) for
>> convenience sake.
>
> welp my brain just melted trying to figure this out.  Searching in
> qubes-users I just see unman telling people its easy, but can you link me to
> the actual instructions for building the template? apparently I;m too dumb to
> find them.  I'm at that github page wanting to shoot myself right now. maybe
> i need git instructions too lol.
>
> I've always compiled gresc on baremetal debian maybe I should just skip to
> coldkernel attempt?  But I;ve already failed trying to compile a basic kernel
> in Qubes so I think I'm probably just gonna pass man. :(

You can follow the Archlinux instructions, but when you get to the step
where you have to select your template, choose jessie-minimal rather
than Archlinux:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/building-archlinux-template/

The coldkernel instructions ( http://github.com/coldhakca/coldkernel )
for Debian templates just work; you should have no problems if you
follow them exactly. You can take the linux-image and linux-header deb
files that it makes and copy/install them on other Debian templates as well.

Compiling kernels for Qubes using qubes-linux-kernel (
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-linux-kernel ) can be tricky. Upgrading
the 4.4 version of the kernel works well; I just did it a few days ago
to upgrade the dom0 kernel 4.4.54. All you had to do was switch into the
4.4 branch (git checkout stable-4.4) and then change the text in the
version file to download the latest version (today, it's 4.4.55) and
then run make rpms (one of the patches will fail because it's already
been integrated into the kernel code, so you can just delete the one
that fails in series.conf; I don't remember which one off the top of my
head). If you want to do a newer kernel (ex. 4.9 or 4.10), it's a bit
more involved. I just compiled 4.10.4 for dom0 and it's running fine,
but you have modify the xen and rpmify patches in their various patch
directories to work with the new kernel. It's not hard; they all still
work, it's just that their locations are different so the patches need
to be updated and that's the part that takes a bit of work. I don't have
time to write a how-to for that though, but for those who are wondering,
it *is* possible to run kernels newer than 4.4 using the Qubes build
scripts.