I have good news.

First, I have tried some tasks where I lacked GPU performance, and it is much
better now. Not sure what was improved since Qubes 3.0, but it is better in
both PVMs (Debian) and HVMs (where GPU emulation is probably handled by
stubdom).

Second, I got OpenSWR working on Debian 9 and it is not so hard. OpenSWR is a
part of Mesa 12 (this is the reason why I haven't tried it with Debian 8…).
When Mesa is compiled with OpenSWR support, one can use it by environment
variable GALLIUM_DRIVER=swr. Unfortunately, OpenSWR seems to be neither in
Debian repository nor in Fedora repository. Fortunately, Mesa can be compiled
with OpenSWR by just adding few options. I've compiled it on Debian 9 using
apt-get source, few modifications and debuild. I can share details. I did not
go the clean way (with ensuring dependencies are specified correctly etc.), but
it is working.

I haven't much time for benchmarks, but OpenSWR is reportedly much faster than
llvmpipe.

Since Qubes 4 will have Linux-based stubdoms, it might be worth using OpenSWR
there if it proves to work well. (Maybe not as a default option.) BTW, when
switching to Qubes 4, where will be the output rendered – in AppVMs, or in
stubdoms?

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'