On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 02:03:14PM +0100, Unman wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 02:17:53AM -0400, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 11:59 PM, Sam Hentschel <hentsche...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Hey all!
> > >
> > > So far so good with QubesOS on my end.  Have almost everything up and
> > > running to have this as my daily carry.  It's amazing how little RAM all
> > > these VMs actually require; and the CPU!  None!
> > >
> > > Anyways, I am having some trouble configuring my DispVMs to allow me to
> > > use them for printing and scanning.  The protocols and software for
> > > printing and scanning are both, as I recall, highly insecure.  In
> > > addition, the devices that use them (i.e. printer, scanners) should be
> > > considered to be backdoored or owned already.
> > >
> > > I wanted to make it so that when I want to print something, I open up
> > > the file in a DispVM and print it from there.  I then thought that I
> > > could approximately do the same thing with scanning.  Open up a DispVM
> > > that is running simple-scan, scan the file into the DispVM and then copy
> > > it over to the VM that I want.
> > >
> > > By doing it this way I should be able to move out all the vulnerable
> > > printer and scanner code, and my AppVMs will never directly touch those
> > > devices or protocols.  Instead they will be hidden behind the realtive
> > > safety of the Qubes file copy mechanism.
> >
> > An interesting goal. In practice I'm not sure what real benefit you'd
> > get from using a DispVM vs. just a regular stateful AppVM (assuming
> > you just use one printer/scanner). Presumably what you care about in
> > this context is confidentiality of your documents. Your
> > printer/scanner is by its very nature in a perfect position to steal
> > your documents, and likely also has a means to store or transmit them.
> > This seems true regardless of whether or not your printer/scanner can
> > compromise or persistently compromise a VM (which only deals with
> > printer drivers and documents the printer will know anyway).
> >
> > If you use multiple printers, then I can see an argument for wanting
> > separate AppVMs per printer, and if you constantly use different
> > printers then sure I guess DispVMs make sense. Is this the case?
> >
> > In other words, I'm curious what threat you're actually trying to
> > mitigate by doing this.
> >
> > > I tried to follow the documentation page:
> > > - show internal VMs
> > > - run gnome-terminal in fedora-23-dvm
> > > - install and configure the necessary applications and hardware devices
> > > - touch the /home/user/.qubes-dispvm-customized
> > > - shutdown the VM
> > > - regenerate the DispVM template using: qvm-create-default-dvm
> > >   --default-template
> > >
> > > When I opened up a DispVM the software was nowhere to be found (opened
> > > up Firefox, right clicked on the DispVM in the VM Manager and ran
> > > gnome-terminal).  When I reopen fedora-23-dvm the software is nowhere to
> > > be found.  So I believe either I am doing something stupid, or the
> > > documentation has it wrong.  I did notice that the DispVMs start with a
> [...]

Unman,

I figured out that the qvm-create-default-dvm command creates the
fedora-23-dvm VM based of the template chosen.  I mad e clone of
fedora-23 and did everything I needed in that.  After installing it, I
could get the DispVMs to work from emails to open up PDFs and print
them, but I can't get it to work from the menu in xfce on Dom0.  Any
tips?  Do I have to change the menu to point at this new dvm image?

--
Respectfully,
Sam Hentschel