On Sat, Apr 08, 2017 at 12:22:05AM -0400, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 04/05/2017 12:02 AM, g...@vfemail.net wrote:
> >|Hi guys
> >1. I have installed and update Qube-os on my SSD and after i connect to
> >motherboard HDD.SSD- primary, HDD-secondary. It attached directly to
> >Dom0. If my HDD - malicious, is it a threat?
>
> Future versions of Qubes may be able to protect against a malicious HDD, but
> not currently. Even an AEM-enabled Qubes could be vulnerable to a DMA
> attack.
>
> >2.Is Debian 9 safer than Debian 8, or Fedora 24 more safer than Fedora 23?
> >Thanks|
>
> The first three are receiving security updates, but the fourth is not
> because its at end-of-life.
>
> Chris

Debian-8 is somewhat more secure then Debian-9, in that the priority is
to release security updates for stable(8). Updates for unstable may be
delayed for assorted reasons, sometimes weeks after a fix for stable.

Note too that for Debian systems there are no security updates for
packages from the contrib and non-free repositories. I am fairly
certain that a default install has those repositories enabled - you can
disable them by removing the names from /etc/apt/sources.list, but this
will restrict the software that is available to you. It's a clear trade
off. (This is an oversimplification in that some packages may get
updates, but there isn't a systematic security update process for
these packages.)

(It's one of those cases where Qubes trades convenience against security
- this one is a mistake imo.)