On 2017-04-05 22:55, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 11:29 PM, cooloutac <raahe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The sound mixer app I installed xfe in mutes things when I lower the volume
>> all the way by accident.  Never realized till now lol.  I always have to go
>> into dom0 alsamixer.
>>
>> Is there a better plugin to use?  Does a new iso come with one by default
>> now?
>
> This same exact bug keeps coming up again and again. See:
> - https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2550
> - https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2117
> - https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2291
> - https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2321
> - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-users/53TYf5GYkqY/ZU8i5v6JAwAJ
>
> This was fixed a while ago, but people don't get the fix because of
> the limitations of updating dom0 by only updating the packages
> installed there. When things get fixed in the installer, they don't
> trickle down to existing systems, and we don't publish new release
> ISOs except for on major releases. This means the default install is
> often broken, and many people end up needing to independently solve
> the same problems over and over. This is clearly not ideal, and IMO
> the way in which we manage dom0 needs some rethinking.
>
> For this specific case I think we'd need a meta-package tracking which
> packages are installed by the installer, and have the installer just
> list that one and have deps of it be pulled in automatically. That
> would let us update *which* packages are installed by default and have
> that change affect existing installs. Then, as for actually putting
> the new mixer in the panel, we'd probably need a %post section in a
> relevant package or something.

Thanks for bringing this problem and solution to everyone's attention,
JPO. I've created a tracking issue (which, I hope, properly captures
both the problem and the proposed solution):

> IMO updating needs a better solution overall. I tried to start a
> discussion about this here:
> - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/dCctVsf15dE/discussion
> but it didn't go anywhere.

IMHO, the reason that thread didn't go anywhere was because it did not
clearly identify a serious problem that needed to be solved or an
enhancement that ought to be implemented. I think your message above
does a much better job of doing both, and the older thread is clearer in
light of it.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS