I am trying to figure out a way to securely handle my encrypted drives
without two things: connecting the USB directly to the Vault (as this is
obviously a bad idea for security), and decrypting the USB in sys-usb
(also obviously a bad idea).

As an example, I have some USB that I keep encrypted backups of my
important documents that I keep with me in case an emergency happens
(which now that I am using Qubes will probably also be in the Vault).  I
have files on there that I need to move to Vault, and I need to be able
to continue to put files onto it (whether from Vault or from a scan I
have done.  <note: I will be writing some documentation hopefully on
what I did giving DispVMs the sole ability to print and scan.>  Which I
know is a whole different problem; so I want to focus on just the
encrypted storage.

Another example is my backup drives which are all encrypted, and that I
would like to have access to for the standard reasons.  I have been
pointed to [1] a couple days ago by JPO and I believe this is part of
the soution, but not the whole thing.

My two solutions that I have thought through are: doing PCI patthrough
directly to the Vault (which is the least favorite of my ideas), and
creating a separate VM for encryption that only houses software for
encrypting and decrypting (dm-crypt or veracrypt).  This way the USB
will be passed through to this VM and will never directly touch the
Vault (except through qvm-move-to-vm).

I had a third solution of adding this functionality to DispVMs, but I
can't PCI pass the USB to the DispVMs when they are running.  So that
one is out.

Thanks in advance for the help; can't wait to see what I missed!

[1] https://github.com/rustybird/qubes-split-dm-crypt

--
Respectfully,
Sam Hentschel