On 2017-04-15 10:59 AM, Vít Šesták wrote:
I've tried the Xenial HVM way. Maybe I should perform a clean installation of
Xenial, because the VM is partially broken from previous experiments. (I have
to boot to recovery mode, remount / as rw and continue booting.) Nevertheless,
I got to a similar point: The Android is accessible from adb and anbox
commands, but I cannot always access its GUI.

More importantly, I can give you a hint to try: AnBox generates normal *.destop
files, just in slightly unusual location
~/snap/anbox/common/app-data/applications/anbox. These files seem to be
generated on boot, you might need a while to see them. When you cat those
files, you get a command to run. I have tried to do so, with varying results:

a. Timeout or similar error message.
b. Gallery app is runnung, but just a black window. (Nevertheless, it has shown
timeout before showing the window.)
c. Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Maybe it is caused by my partially broken Xenial installation, maybe it is some
Anbox bug (which cannot be surprising in such early stage) and maybe Anbox is
not satisfied with llvmpipe (which would be unfortunate for Qubes users in
general).

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Thanks for the hint! I can now launch things on the command line.

I haven't tried all of the programs, but I was able to launch the program I installed (Obenkyo, a Japanese learning app that still works with Gingerbread so I know it will usual work with most non-standard Android environments too) and the Calendar app. I launched the Gallery3D app and got a black screen too. I wonder if the '3D' part implies that it needs OpenGL and thus, may have an issue under Qubes? Or maybe a missing dependency will fix things. The Chromium webview app just crashes. And I'm still not sure where to find the Application Manager command that launches the program you see on their YouTube video. It's too bad their website has no documentation on how to actually use this program (at least, that I could find); I guess they assume that it should be obvious if you can access the Unity dashboard (which it probably is).

I don't know if this helps or if you tried it (I think you might have though, which means this is for anyone else who wants to try this), but I couldn't get adb or anything else to work until I ran 'anbox session-manager' on the command line and had it running in the background. If I didn't, adb (which I had to install separately; apt-get install adb) would say it couldn't find a device to connect to.

...and the Anbox session-manager just segmentation faulted on me.

Well, at least there's some more progress. It sounds like that I'm having a similar experience to you on my regular PV TemplateVM as you are on your HVM, though. So at least the behaviour seems to be consistent, and fixing things on one will probably fix things on the other too.