On 04/22/2017 05:42 AM, Andrew David Wong wrote:

On 2017-04-21 20:18, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 10:00 PM, Andrew David Wong <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote:
On 2017-04-20 21:56, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:17 PM, taii...@gmx.com <taii...@gmx.com>
wrote:
How do I stop focus stealing? I have accidentally entered ssh
passwords in to other windows as they keep stealing focus for
irrelevant things.

AFAIK there is no consensus on how to best solve this problem.

It has come up before in various forms:
https://github.com/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=org%3AQubesOS+focus+stealing

 Suggestions & proof-of-concept implementations would be most
appreciated!

Personally, I just set all the normal (i.e., GUI settings menu
accessible) settings in Xfce4 to their maximally anti-focus-stealing
values. Some users may find this too inconvenient, but I've gotten
used to it. I never have problems with windows stealing focus.

What does this mean? What specifically do you change?

Just disable "Automatically give focus to newly created windows"?
Something else?

Just go into the Xfce settings menu in dom0 and systematically look at
every option. (Pretty sure they're all in "Window Manager" and "Window
Manager Tweaks.") If it sounds like it would affect focus stealing, try
setting it to whichever value sounds like the value you'd want, then
test the result. I don't remember all the values I changed, since it was
a long time ago, but there aren't that many. Should take less than 10
minutes.

Yes that can help.

It heavily depends on your window manager though.

In particular the topic of "focus stealing" is a heavily subjective one: You actually want to change focus at some point, don't you? So what's a correct and what's an incorrect focus change? VMs in Qubes cannot steal the focus themselves from another VM (except for maybe requesting that from your Window Manager in dom0 - I guess it's at least implemented that way), but your Window Manager may be configured in a way that does not reflect your idea of "correct focus change"...

For example for me I defined the only correct focus changes to be:
- Mouse move & click
- workspace changes
- pre-defined key combinations
(and drop everything else)

Awesome should allow to enforce these rules (the default Qubes config allows more btw), I don't know about xfce.