On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 4:06:11 PM UTC-4, Unman wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 11:33:58AM -0700 wrote:

> > > It turns out those two scripts I mentioned were not changed in the
> > > latest update (although qubes-setup-dnat-to-ns was changed slightly in a
> > > way that should have no bearing here).
> > >
> > > It appears that qubes-ns is not normally created in an appVM, anyway.
> > > Running 'setup-ip' and 'qubes-setup-dnat-to-ns' from a shell gives me
> > > the same errors you posted.
> > >
> > > Perhaps the cause is simpler: You may have inadvertently set the netVM
> > > for that appVM to 'none' or enabled blocking in the firewall settings.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
> > > https://twitter.com/ttaskett
> > > PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB  4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > The thing is that when I set up the DNS servers manually by modifying the
> > /etc/hosts file to let's say 8.8.8.8, everything works properly! I think
> > the problem is that for some reason the iptables rules are not being
> > created, so the appVM can't connect.
> >
> > Cheers.
> >

> It's still not entirely clear to me what's going on.
> I assume that you are changing /etc/resolv.conf rather than hosts - if
> the latter , what entry are you putting in there?
> And you are doing this in the appVM.
>
> But the iptables rules arent being created in the netvm to which the
> appVM is connected.
> Are you able to use DNS from the netVM? What is in resolv.conf there and
> what is in iptables upstream?

Hi,

Sorry I replied from my phone in a rush, you are right what I'm modifying is
the resolv.conf file. When I add there let's say 8.8.8.8, it resolves, so the
problem seems to be that the template or appVMs cannot connect to sys-fw to
resolve DNS names, and this seems to be due to the lack of those iptables rules
that are not created for some reason.

The issues applies to both, the template VM and the app VM