On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 4:50:07 AM UTC+2, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 04/27/2017 06:48 PM, almir.aljic1...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 12:29:57 AM UTC+2, almir.a...@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> >> Alright. But I have another question. In the guide you linked, on
> >> step 4, it tells me to add 3 lines to my openvpn-client.ovpn file.
> >> Where do I add these 3 lines in this file? Is it fine if I just put
> >> them at the bottom of the file?
>
> Position in the ovpn file isn't important.
>
> When you re-started the VPN VM, did is display a popup window saying it
> connected?
>

> > I've done everything according to the guide you sent:
> >
> > 1) I first created the ProxyVM - not standalone - under a Debian
> > template
> >
> > 2) I did the commands found in step 2 of the Mullvad guide to install
> > OpenVPN on the ProxyVM
>
> This would have to be installed in the template, not the VPN VM.
>
> My personal preference would be to clone the template and upgrade that
> to Debian 9 which already has openvpn 2.4:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/debian/upgrade-8-to-9/
>

> > 3) I downloaded an Android configuration file (country: Netherlands)
> >
> > 4) I started following the guide you linked, and did the sudo mkdir
> > command in the ProxyVM to create a vpn folder in /rw/config/, and
> > then I moved my Android configuration file into the newly created vpn
> > folder
> >
> > 5) I then ran this command (step 2 of the qubes-OS link guide): sudo
> > openvpn --cd /rw/config/vpn --config openvpn-client.ovpn
> >
> > and the connection seemed to work
> >
> > 6) I then fixed all the scripts, made them executable and then I
> > restarted the ProxyVM.
> >
> > 7) I changed the configuration of my 'personal' AppVM so that it
> > routes through the ProxyVM.
> >
> > Here's the problem, then: when I open Firefox in my 'personal' AppVM,
> > I simply get a "Problem loading page" when I try to visit any
> > website, such as www.google.com.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > Sincerely appreciate help!
> >

>  From the appVM, can you ping a known IP address? Then try to ping a
> domain name.
>
> --
>
> Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
> https://twitter.com/ttaskett
> PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB  4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886

Yes, when I re-started the VPN VM a popup window did appear saying I was
connected.

I tried running the Mullvad commands to install OpenVPN in the Debian-8
templateVM but it did not work. I get the following error message:

"Resolving swupdate.openvpn.net ... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address 'swupdate.openvpn.net'
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found."

But the same commands do work in the debian-8 AppVM. What's the issue?

I'm going to try installing debian-9 but would highly appreciate an answer to
why I'm unable to install OpenVPN right from the debian templateVM.

And no, from what I re-call I was unable to ping a known IP address from the
AppVM. BUt the connectio did seem to go through when I used the openvpn command
in the ProxyVM.