On 05/01/2017 12:04 PM, cooloutac wrote:
> On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 1:26:52 PM UTC-4, Vít Šesták wrote:
>> AFAIU, if https://ark.intel.com/ shows “Intel® vPro™ Technology: no”, then
>> the particular CPU is safe. But I am not 100% confident in vPro and related
>> technologies, so I might be wrong. Can someone confirm/deny this claim?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Vít Šesták 'v6ak'
> I think its more about the management engine on the intel chipsets.  They say
> every board after 2008 is affected, even if you don't have amt it can be
> exploited locally? does that mean from the host os or with physical access to
> the board?    Sounds scary regardless.
>
> And so we have to hope we get a bios patch or something?  Is someone going to
> keep tabs on what boards are getting patched so we can go buy them? lol.
>
> Its funny but after the recent dom0 update I told my family we have to buy
> new pc hardware and they think I'm completely nuts.  And ironically, or maybe
> not, my bank card was just hacked over the weekend.  I'm praying it was got
> from the only online vendor I ever used it once at a month or two ago, or the
> processing company and not my system.  But it sure is a crazy coincidence...
>
> I wonder are boards that check for bios updates themselves even safe, Can
> someone intercept with malicious update?

It's up to you whether or not you trust this archive or not, but there
is an archive of various ME firmware being kept here:

http://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html

and a more comprehensive archive here:

http://www.win-raid.com/t832f39-Intel-Engine-Firmware-Repositories.html

You might be able to update your Intel ME firmware using one of the
files found there. But you'd probably want to wait until a firmware with
at least an April 2017 release date or newer is available; not all of
them have one yet (certainly not for any of the machines that I run).