On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 7:28:55 PM UTC-4, Unman wrote:
> On Fri, May 05, 2017 at 09:39:28PM -0700, Patrick Bouldin wrote:
> > I was attempting to go by the instructions here:
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/multiboot/
> >
> > Confused on which instructions to execute. First, I repartitioned, then
> > installed Windows 7 - it booted fine. Then I installed Qubes on the other
> > position - and Qubes now boots fine to that partition. With that in mind,
> > do I follow the instructions under Windows or Linux on the guidelines?
> >
> > And, if I'm to use the Windows instructions, then when doing a blkid in
> > order to get the volume for windows and substituting that name into the X
> > in the "ntldr (hd1,X)/bootmgr" line of the /etc/grub.d/40_custom  file - I
> > am unclear as to what to use there. If I blkid I see this:
> >
> > /dev/sdal: LABEL="System Reserved" UUID="lotsOfcharacters", and then type,
> > and then PARTUUID="othercharacters".  So, which do I want for the X
> > substitution. Either way upon boot I get "error: hd1 cannot get C/H/S
> > values"
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Patrick
> >

> That error suggests that the drive is not identified correctly.
> It would help if the page made it clear that these are examples, not to
> be followed blindly.
> You need to understand how grub identifies disks and partitions.
>
> grub2 will reference sda (the first disk) as hd0.
> But partitions are numbered from 1.
> So sda1, which you identify as the System reserved partition , should be
> identified as (hd0,1)
>
> The relevant line should therefore be:
>  ntldr (hd0,1)/bootmgr
>
> Try that and see what happens.
>
> unman

Thanks unman, that actually worked. However, apparently the QubesOS install
apparently corrupted the Windows OS partition that was installed first. I guess
that's a different problem! Do you think I need to start over? If I try to boot
to the USB windows7 ISO it doesn't recognize it, but I know the ISO is good.

Patrick