On 04/29/2017 05:36 PM, 'Mike Freemon' via qubes-users wrote:
Hello,

I'm a big fan of Qubes.  Keep up the excellent work.

My initial contribution to the cause is this HCL.

Qubes is working great on the titular laptop, but there were some
challenges to overcome during installation.

1.  UEFI.  Installing from USB.  I found that I had to disable CSM and
select boot partition 1 to get the installation media to boot.

2.  Touchpad.  The touchpad was not working.  To install with a USB
mouse, I set qubes.InputMouse to pass mouse events to Dom0.  Of course,
the USB mouse only works when sys-usb is running.

3.  Wireless.  I had to get the wireless working by using nmcli commands
(e.g. nmcli device wifi connect <ssid>).  I should add that some of this
was when I was trying to install via text only, which requires a little
more background info:  My initial install attempts were from legacy
booting, which failed to launch the graphical interface.  I tried to
continue with the installation via the text interface, which I never did
get working.  That's when I went back to step 1 and got it working via
UEFI / partition 1 with CSM disabled.

4.  Display Resolution.  The display was only 800x600.

The short version:  The display issues were caused by using a kernel
that is "too old" (for this hardware).

This hardware requires kernel 4.8.12 (to be more precise, all I can say
at the moment is that the minimum kernel version for this hardware is >
4.4.55 and <= 4.8.12).

Kernel 4.8.12 is only available from the unstable repository, so I had
to get Qubes installed in a "degraded" way before I could issue the
magic command:

qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-unstable kernel kernel-qubes-vm

A quick follow up on this hardware.

I found that the wireless NIC failed to work after suspend/resume.

The hardware is: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31)

There are several reports of this hardware having problems with suspend/resume.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/53389?project=5&cat=

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?31444-No-wireless-connection-after-sleep-suspend

http://jfcarter.net/~jimc/hardware/acer-e5-573g/setup.shtml

On this last one, the following is mentioned: "Update: S3 becomes reliable if you leave it asleep or awake for at least 5 mins between state transitions." This is potentially interesting (as a diagnostic test, not as a solution). I have not confirmed this myself.

As will come as no surprise to readers of this list, unloading/reloading the kernel module did work around the problem. Described here:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/wireless-troubleshooting/

In my case, the drivers to include in suspend-module-blacklist are:

ath10k_pci
ath10k_core
ath

Note: I also tried disabling VT-d as a test, which did not change/fix anything in my case.