For the record, I still don't know what happened with this install.  It was
from a USB stick, without verification.  Perhaps it was a corrupted install
(3rd install, btw from the same USB stick).

Recently I switched to a USB3 stick, and made sure to 'verify' before
installing.

This time the password prompt comes up after the blank screen.  So it is all
fine now.

I'll chalk it up to a bad installation.