Just because the baton was dropped doesn't mean that others weren't
willing to pick it up.

There are a few groups now that are forward porting the last grsecurity
release (4.9.24) to work with newer kernels in the 4.9 branch. This is
the one that the Hardened Kernel Community Project links to:

https://github.com/minipli/linux-unofficial_grsec/tree/linux-4.9.x-unofficial_grsec

And the Dapper Linux project is trying to forward-port the patches to
4.11 (but it still doesn't compile properly; trust me, I've tried):

https://github.com/dapperlinux/dapper-secure-kernel-patchset

I've taken their work and created a test 4.9 Qubes grsec kernel branch
merging their patches with the Qubes/Xen patches here (the only one that
wouldn't merge was the mcelog patch so I commented it out; I'm too newb
to figure out how to adjust it to account for the changes that the grsec
patches make), if people wanted to play around with it:

https://github.com/rtiangha/qubes-linux-kernel/tree/devel-4.9-grsec

Some Notes:

- The resulting kernel-qubes-vm package as a VM kernel works *exactly*
the same as a coldkernel. So if you were running coldkernel in your VMs
before, you can save yourself a lot of time using this instead because
instead of installing a grsec kernel on each VM, all you have to do now
is install it once in dom0 and only point the VMs you want to use it.

- I haven't played with it too much yet, but the standard dom0 kernel
package boots, but you'll need to run paxctl to soften the protections
on various binaries and libraries for it to work 100% (paxctl -cm
/usr/bin/pulseaudio is definitely one of them), and maybe do some other
things as well. The problem is, Fedora doesn't have pax-tools in its
repository (I think; Debian definitely does), so you'll have to compile
those utilities yourself. The Dapper Linux project has a branch and
compile instructions on GitHub, but it's up to you to figure out how to
use them (there's lots of documentation on the web; the Arch and Gentoo
Linux grsecurity wikis are probably a good place to start):

https://github.com/dapperlinux/pax-tools

There's probably a risk in continuing to use a stale patch set as time
goes by, but if you're the type that believes a stale grsecurity patch
set is still better than the stock kernel configuration, there are
groups out there trying to keep it alive for as long as possible.

As for getting as many of those grsec patches merged upstream as
possible, that's where the Hardened Kernel Community Project comes in
and they're primarily concentrating on 4.11 for now. Their work is here:

https://github.com/thestinger/linux-hardened/

And I've created a 4.11 branch that merges in those patches (it's what
I'm currently running in dom0 on my personal machines at the moment, and
it seems to work fine) here:

https://github.com/rtiangha/qubes-linux-kernel/tree/devel-4.11-hard

If you just want a stock 4.11 experience, I've also created a branch
without the hardened stuff here:

https://github.com/rtiangha/qubes-linux-kernel/tree/devel-4.11

So for those who are bored with the stock kernels and want to try
something new (or need better hardware support than what 4.9 has), there
are a few more choices now.